If you consider yourself a wine lover—and let’s face it, who isn’t these days—then you’re more than likely familiar with the ease with which you can buy wine online. Whether you’re searching sites like Wine.com, your local wineries or even Amazon, there are any number of places where you can find wine deals online.
We buy just about everything online these days, including wine. Whether you join an online wine club or stock up on your favorite, it’s easier than ever to get ahold of wine online. For most sites, you can browse wine deals online to your heart’s content, order what you want and have it shipped directly to your house—just be sure to make sure you’re home for delivery and you follow state laws regarding alcohol.
Even if you regularly stock up on cheap wine online and find plenty of wine deals online for yourself, there’s a good chance you might be looking to change things up. Even if you have your favorite wines you always order, there’s nothing wrong with looking to expand your horizons. Who knows, you may even find some new favorites to order.
If you go out to eat and you’re looking for a new wine, a certified wine specialist can help you find the perfect. The wine specialist will ask about your taste preferences and recommend good wines to pair with what you might be eating. If you know nothing about wine, you probably have flipped through pages and pages of a wine menu.
But whether you know next to nothing about wine or a little bit, here’s a basic primer to choosing a good wine. The important thing to remember is that what wines are considered “good” is a very subjective thing. Everyone’s got their favorites, but here are some basic characteristics to keep in mind:
- Alcohol volume: It’s important to remember that the higher the percentage of alcohol in a particular wine, the more it’s going to warm the back of the throat and mouth. Most wines offered are roughly 11% alcohol.
- Sweetness: If you read a lot of wine labels, you might see words like “dry” and “sweet.” It’s important to remember though that dry wines aren’t sweet.
- Body: Most wines you’ll see are described as light body or full body. The term “body” simply refers to how heavy the wine feels in a drinker’s mouth. Most red wines tend to be full body as opposed to white wines which are lighter.
- Acidity: Wines with high acidity tend to taste more tart. Low-acidity wines tend to have a richer flavor.
So know that you’ve been introduced (or reminded) of some important wine characteristics, here’s how you about choosing a good bottle of wine. Keep in mind again that “good” is subjective and the wine you’re looking for may depend on price, flavor or even the occasion you might be looking to have the wine for.
- Think about other flavors: One of the best ways to find a new wine is to think about other flavors you enjoy. If you like certain fruits for example, you might opt for a sweeter wine. If you like more of a bitter taste, you may look for a more acidic wine.
- Consider the occasion: Before you looking for wine deals online, consider the occasion you might need a wine for. Are you looking for something to pair with weekly meals? Are you looking for a want to bring to a party? Are you looking for a new wine to cook with? Before you buy anything, consider what you need it for. Let’s say for example, you’re looking for a wine to eat with dinner. A general rule of thumb is to drink white wine with lighter meals and red wines for heavier meals.
By going back to basics and considering all the factors that go into making wine, you can find the perfect bottle of vino for your next party or to pair with all your favorite meals. With more than 7,000 wineries across the U.S., you get all the best wines from many online wine shops and online wine sellers.