- Federal Budget Supports Livestock Sector Through Investment in Animal Health Emergency PreparednessThe Beef Farmers of Ontario (BFO) applauds the Government of Canada’s commitment of $57.5 million over five years to fund a Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) vaccine bank, and support for the development of emergency response plans related to the devastating animal health disease.
- Canadian beef producers getting full access to Japanese marketCanadian beef producers got some good news Monday. For the first time in two decades, Canadian processed beef will be welcome in Japan. Canada will have full access to the Japanese market for the first time since 2003 when that country put restrictions on Canadian beef after the discovery of a case of mad cow […]
- Cattle producers see strong prices in Q12023 has seen some positive movement in market prices for the cattle sector. Anne Wasko, a cattle market analyst with Gateway Livestock, says cattle producers have seen some record movement in prices for fat cattle this year setting a new all-time record high for fat cattle in Western Canada breaking the previous 2015 high. She […]
- Thin Cows and Limited Hay Resources: What are my options?Drought conditions this last growing season, limited hay supply, and a wet winter have been very challenging to beef producers. This created a situation where many cows at this point were thinner than normal years. In addition, we couple that with limited hay and lower-quality hay with the potential of having a late green up […]
- Livestock producers in Mountain West in grip of winter’s weatherOn a recent morning on a snow-covered farm in Western Nevada, Lucy Rechel had a spring in her step. Rechel, who manages the cattle operation at Snyder Livestock Company, said the cows in the feedlot were feeling good, too, because it was clear-skied and sunny.